Maine State Electronic Resources
LearningExpress is the latest addition to our online services.
Funded by the Maine State Library’s BTOP grant and available to Maine public library patrons, LearningExpress Library's resources will help you succeed. Practice tests, eBooks, and information you need to achieve the results you want—at school, at work, or in life are available. LearningExpress Library is an interactive online learning platform with over 770 practice tests, exercises, skill-building courses, tutorials, and eBooks related to job search and workplace skills for improvement, career certification and licensing exam preparation, college entrance graduate school admissions exam preparation, GED exam preparation, and basic skills improvement in reading, writing, and math, for all ages. In addition, you will find interactive popular software tutorials/courses that are video-based and allow you to learn at your own pace.
Houlton Area Genealogy Resources
The Cary Library Genealogy Database includes historical genealogical information from Houlton, Maine (USA) and its surrounding communities in the Southern Aroostook County area. This is also where we keep our other online genealogy resources.
The Aroostook Times newspaper : Published in Houlton, Maine from 1860 to 1916, the Aroostook Times newspaper eventually merged with rival, Aroostook Pioneer, to form the Houlton Pioneer Times. The digitized papers are made available at https://digitalmaine.com/houlton/ . Additional years of this title and the Houlton Pioneer Times will be added in the future.
S. Cary & Company Exhibit at Maine Memory Network provides a glimpse into the time period 1838 to 1843 with early accounts of settlers, businesses, timber exploration, Hancock Barracks and more. Explore the entire S. Cary & Company accounting ledger. The Cary family is an important part of Houlton, Aroostook County and New Brunswick, Canada history. Shep Cary, doing business as Shepard Cary and Company, engaged in trade as a storekeeper and conducted lumbering operations centering on Seven Islands on the upper reaches of the St. John and Allagash rivers. He also served as a Maine state and U.S. Representative. This 900+ page handwritten accounting ledger from S. Cary and Company, covering the years 1838 through 1843 records history of Houlton, Aroostook County and nearby New Brunswick, Canada through recorded entries such as merchandise sales and listings of early pioneers and settlers, timber exploration, boundary disputes, Hancock Barracks officers, Maine land agents, saw mills, blacksmiths and many more. Information available nowhere else regarding the formation of Aroostook County (1839) and the boundary settlement (1842).
Visit our neighbors, the Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum of Houlton to explore Houlton and Aroostook County cultural history and artistic heritage.
Houlton High Alumni Association has a digital archive of Houlton High School yearbooks http://houlton.advantage-preservation.com/
Local Electronic Resources
- https://online.salempress.com/home.do?activationcode=carylibrary Grey House Publishing, Salem Press & Reference Shelf- Easy Remote Access
- Principles of business: Accounting, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Management, Marketing, Economics - provides a solid foundation to the study of six important areas of business and finance: Finance, Management, Marketing, Accounting, International Business and Entrepreneurship.
- Salem Health: Cancer, Magill's Medical Guide and Psycholgy and Mental Health - Salem Health brings online access to Salem Press’ award-winning health reference works. Cancer set covers more than 800 topics of crucial interest to students, patients, caregivers, and others who have received a diagnosis or are associated with those who have cancer including diseases, conditions, medications, procedures, specialists, social issues, personal coping tips, print and online academic resources, and support resources. Magill's Medical Guide is a perfect mix of accessibility and depth, providing general readers with an authoritative reference source that helps bridge the gap between medical encyclopedias for professionals and popular self-help guides. The Guide covers diseases, disorders, treatments, procedures, specialties, anatomy, biology, and issues in an A-Z format, with sidebars addressing recent developments in medicine and concise information boxes for all diseases and disorders. Psychology and Mental Health covers not only the history of the field and the core aspects of behaviorism, cognitive psychology, and psychoanalytic psychology but also diagnoses, disorders, treatments, tests, notable people, and issues, including many popular concepts but also examines important and developing issues in psychology, such as multiple intelligences, emotional intelligence, pharmaceuticals used in treatment, genetics, and the effects of hope, spirituality, and social support.
- Salem History: The Decades: The Twenties in Amerca, The Thirties in America, The Forties in America, The Fifties in America, The Sixties in America, The Seventies in America, The Eighties in America, The Nineties in America, Great Lives from History: The Ancient World, Middle Ages, and Renaissance and Great Events from History: Ancient World, Middle Ages, Renaissance and Early Modern Era, GLBT Events, - All from the Salem Press, these critically acclaimed history series are also available online from one easy to search interface.
- Salem Science: Earth Science: Earth Materials and Resources, Earth's Weather, Water and Atmosphere, Earth's Surface and History, Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, and Forensic Science - basic topics in geology, geophysics, atmospheric sciences, oceanography, environmental science, paleontology and planetology, is designed to provide and introduction to our latest understanding of the Earth's physical features and dynamic processes.
- Defining Documents: Defining Documents in American History: The 1930s (1930–1939) , Defining Documents in American History: World War I (1914–1919) , Defining Documents in American History: Reconstruction Era (1865–1877) , Defining Documents in American History: The American West (1836–1900) , Defining Documents in American History: World War II (1939–1946) , Defining Documents in American History: The Vietnam War (1956–1975) - offers a broad range of historical documents on important authors and subjects in American history.
- Encyclopedia of Constitutional Amendments - An Encyclopedia of the People • Procedures • Politics • Primary Documents and Campaigns for the 27 Amendments to the Constitution of the United States.
- This is Who We Were Series: This Is Who We Were 1880-1899 , This Is Who We Were 1910s , This Is Who We Were 1920s , This Is Who We Were 1940s: A Companion to the 1940 Census, This Is Who We Were 1950s , This Is Who We Were 1960s ,This is Who We Were: In the 1970s, This Is Who We Were 1980s.
- The Reference Shelf: American Political Speeches; Campaign Trends & Election Law; Immigration; Racial Tension in a "Post-Racial" Age; Representative American Speeches 2014-2015; Representative American Speeches 2015-2016; Rethinking Work; The Digital Age; The Supreme Court; The Transformation of American cities; U.S. National Debate Topic 2015-2016: Surveillance; U.S. National Debate Topic 2016-2017: U.S.-China Relations; Whistleblowers
- eBooks and Audiobooks - From the Maine InfoNet Download Library. Explore our collection of downloadable eBooks and Audiobooks and use your library card barcode to download eBooks to your computer or eBook reader or Audiobooks to your personal computer, transfer them to an MP3 player, or burn selected titles onto a CD for listening on the go. The Audiobook service offers both WMA and MP3 Audiobook formats. OverDrive MP3 Audiobooks are compatible with many devices including most cell phones, PDA’s and MP3 players such as iPods®, while the WMA Audiobooks work only with PC based machines and Window Media compatible portable players and devices. eBooks are available in Adobe EPUB and PDF formats and are compatible with most eBook readers, with the exception of Amazon Kindles.