About the Library
Cary Library strives to be a cultural and intellectual center for our community. Our mission is to strengthen our community by enhancing and contributing to individual knowledge and experiences, literacy development and lifelong learning through print, electronic resources, cultural activities, programs and services.
Hours of Operation
Monday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Tuesday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Wednesday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Thursday 9:00 am to 8:00 pm
Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Saturday 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
The Cary Library, founded in 1904, offers a wide variety of materials. We offer over 55,000 volumes, including over 800 large print titles and nearly 1,400 audio CD) titles. We also have over 1,700 DVD titles and subscribe to nearly 90 periodicals. Books are arranged according to the Dewey Decimal System. Audio and video media are numerically numbered according to acquisition. Books, periodicals and audio materials circulate for two weeks, and may be renewed. Fines for late books and audio materials are five cents per item, per day. DVDs circulate for one week free, and may not be renewed. Fines for DVDs accumulate at $1.00 per DVD, per day. If you have difficulty finding an item, our staff are happy to assist you.
In addition to the basic fiction, nonfiction and reference categories of titles that we offer to our patrons, we have many smaller collections of materials grouped by subject, reading level, or material. These special collections include:
- A Children's Library for our younger readers
- An extensive Genealogy Room with many unique local resources and a new microfilm machine with PC that can save attachments as PDF or email.
- A large Maine Collection with a selection of non-fiction and biographies covering Maine and Aroostook County
- A collection covering Maine rivers, watershed information and watershed management, donated by Maine Rivers
- A selection of LARGE PRINT books
- Audio Books for those on the go
- Videos and DVDs for young and old alike
- Compact Discs of many musical selections
- Reading interest groups of fiction including: Recent arrivals/ Bestseller selection and Paperbacks
- Picturing America: Reproductions of Great American Art
Library Director - Linda Faucher
Youth Services Librarian/Inter-library Loan - Hayley Jipson
Youth Services/Library Assistant - Jen Smith
Circulation/Adult Services - Donna Meek
Office Manager - Barbara Ek
Board of Trustees
Trustees are elected to staggered, five-year terms by the citizens of Houlton during municipal elections held each November. The five members of the Library Board establish library policies and oversee the management of the Library's Endowment fund.
- Iva Sussman - Chair
- Forrest Barnes - Treasurer
- Gary Hagan - Secretary
- Leigh Cummings Jr.
- Lauren Fitzpatrick